Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Writing My Own Short Story

When writing my short story I started off with the completely wrong process. When my professor explained to just start writing about a place describing it by using what it looks like. We were supposed to make something up about a certain place where if someone read it they would know where it was. I began explaining myself on a long trip to Wyoming without saying exactly where we were going. Then when we were introduced to having to create a character and explain them I had to restart my whole little story. I changed everything to focus more on imagery. I didn't use any references to any characters until half way through the short story, then I switched from a place to a person perspective. This was much easier to focus on each separate concept then to try and combine the two right away. This process taught me that fiction short story writing was much more organizational than I thought it was. It is a much shorter space so you have to really think about how you want to write a story and what you want to accomplish. It isn't as easy as just writing any story, it has limits. I have much more respect for short story authors now that I tried to also write my own story and make it some what decent.

1 comment: